On Thursday, February 27, the Newhall School District will host its biennial Parent Summit and Volunteer Recognition evening. Administrators, teachers, and school board members will offer information and discussion sessions for parents on three huge changes facing California’s schools: the state’s Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF), Common Core Standards, and assessment. A process to revise the district’s mission statement to reflect these new realities will also be part of the evening.
The Governing Board will also honor a school site council-nominated “Volunteer of the Year” from each school, along with members of the Measure E Citizens Oversight Committee.
“This evening is a chance for parents to gain some information about very important topics that affect our students and staff, help the district honor its volunteers, and interact with administrators and school board members,” said Governing Board President Brian Walters. “We welcome everyone who wants to join us for the evening.”
The parent summit will be held at Wiley Canyon School, on Thursday, February 27th, from 5:00Pm to 8:15 PM. Details below:
Parent engagement and education session subjects include:
- Common Core State Standards and the New State Assessment.
- This spring our students will participate in the pilot of a new state test based on the Common Core State Standards. Tests will be administered on computers. Participants will take and discuss a test item.
- New State Funding for California
- The Local Control Funding Formula (LCFF) and Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP) will completely change the way California Schools are funded. This new funding model will have a large impact on Newhall’s schools.
- Revision of the District Mission Statement
- Given Common Core Standards, a new state test, the impact of technology on our classrooms, and a new state funding program, the district needs parent input as we revise our mission statement.
Date: Thursday, February 27, 2014
Time: 5:00 p.m.
Location: Wiley Canyon Elementary School
24240 W. La Glorita Circle
RSVP to Wendy Stimson at 661.291.4000 or WStimson@newhall.k12.ca.us