Pacifica Senior Living is Santa Clarita’s leading in care facility for Alzheimer patients and their spouses.
Alzheimer’s disease is a brain disorder named after German physician Alois Alzheimer who first described it in 1906. Scientists have learned a great deal about Alzheimer’s disease in the century since Dr. Alzheimer first drew attention to it. Today we know that Alzheimer’s Is a progressive and fatal brain disease affecting as many as 5.3 million Americans.
Alzheimer’s destroys brain cells causing problems with memory, life long hobbies or social life. Today it is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States. Alzheimer’s is also the most common form of dementia. Alzheimer’s accounts for 50-70% of all dementia cases. Alzheimer’s unfortunately has no current cure but treatments for symptoms combined with the right services and support can make life better for the millions of Americans living with Alzheimer’s.
10 Signs of Alzheimer’s
1) Memory Loss
2) Difficulty performing familiar tasks
3) Disorientation to time and place
4) Poor and decreased judgment
5) Problems with abstract thinking
6) Problems with language
7) Misplacing things
8) Changes in personality
9) Changes in mood or behavior
10) Loss of initiative
- The Alzheimer’s Association has formed the Alzheimer’s Early Detection Alliance (AEDA) to help educate everyone about the warning signs of Alzheimer’s, the importance of early detection, and the resources available to help them.
- If you have a spouse or loved one that has Alzheimer’s and physically cannot take care of them there is a senior living center that houses both Alzheimer’s patients and regular seniors. The senior center is called Pacifica Senior Living. It is located at 24305 Lyons Ave Newhall, CA 91321 (661) 255-7596 .This way you can be with your loved one but also have interaction with other seniors.
The Fisher Center for Alzheimer’s Research Foundation recommends that those researching senior housing options for patients in need of Alzheimer’s care look for specific characteristics, including a safe, supervised, and comfortable environment that can handle wandering patients, a structured routine, and activities that that they can participate in.
Assisted living facilities that provide Alzheimer’s care are usually referred to as Special Care Units (SCUs). SCUs are designed to take care of all the needs of Alzheimer’s patients by employing staff that are expressly trained to work with people with dementia. Assisted living facilities are often considered the best choice for those who are in the early to moderate stages of Alzheimer’s.
If long-term care is desired, it’s important to know what level of care an SCU will provide. Some Alzheimer’s care units within assisted living facilities only accept patients in the early stages of Alzheimer’s. Others care for people until they require skilled care in a nursing home, and some SCUs provide hospice services.
Find out how Pacifica Senior Living in Santa Clarita can assist with your Alzheimer patients. Take a tour of their Newhall facility on Lyon’s Avenue.