The City of Santa Clarita is offering a variety of fun activities for community members to enjoy during the winter months at the Activities Center, located at 20880 Centre Pointe Parkway.
“The Activities Center features a variety of high-quality events and recreational services intended for community members of all ages at an affordable cost,” commented Mayor Frank Ferry. “Although it might be raining or cold outside, there are plenty of new indoor activities that residents can try during the winter months.”
Events happening now at the Activities Center include:
- Movie Madness- Hosted once a month on Thursdays from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., the City will present free dog-themed movie nights. Showings include Hotel for Dogs on January 17,Iron Will on February 7, The Adventures of Milo and Otis on March 7, Turner and Hooch on April 11, and Beethoven on May 2. Space is limited so sign-ups are required
- Hot Cocoa and a Movie- Hosted on Saturday, December 15, from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., this free event will feature the holiday film The Santa Claus, starring Tim Allen. Hot cocoa will be served and a fun craft will be available after the movie. Seating is limited so please pick-up a ticket at the Activities Center beginning Monday, December 10.
- Winter Camp- Hosted for three weeks beginning December 26, 2012 through January 11, 2013, this is a traditional day camp program for children ages 5 to 12 years old during winter break. Camp will consist of weekly themed programs and activities including arts, crafts, games and field trips every Thursday. Space is limited so reserve your spot now at http://www.campclarita.com/programs_winter.asp.
- The Family Room- Beginning January 14, 2013, this new program will be hosted at 9:00 a.m. every Wednesday and Friday. The Family Room will provide fun filled activities including crafts, music, stories and play music for children ages 0-3 and their parents. Cost is $5.00 per visit and space is limited.
- Fun Fridays- These free adaptive classes run by City staff will be hosted one Friday each month at 1:00 p.m. Games and activities will be offered including Bingo, Bunco, board games and Wii Tournaments.
- Sports Days- These adaptive classes will allow residents to participate in a variety of sports including dodge ball, basketball, relay races and floor hockey. Cost is $3.00 per adult and $2.00 for those 18 and under.
In addition to these events, be on the lookout for new classes rolling out in the spring, including: Club 50 for residents over the age of 50; adult classes featuring arts and crafts sessions; Low Impact Jazzercise and Zumba Gold for active adults, and much more. These new recreational classes are specific to the needs of the community and will be featured in the upcoming spring SEASONS catalog, which is set to be released in early February 2013.
For more information about events happening at the Santa Clarita Activities Center or to register, please call (661) 250-3703.