The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station is advising Valencia residents in the area of McBean Parkway and Valencia Boulevard to be extra vigilant in reporting suspicious persons loitering in the area during the early morning hours.
Detectives from the station are investigating a report of an attempted sexual assault, which occurred at 5:25 a.m. today in a parking lot on the southwest corner of that intersection.
The victim, a 44-year-old woman, was walking to the bus stop when the suspect approached her from behind. The man, who is described as a male Caucasian, 30-35 years of age, 5 feet 10 inches tall with a thin build, was wearing a yellow t-shirt printed with multi-colored radio station advertisements.
The victim had good instincts and felt uncomfortable when the man walked up behind her. He began talking to her as she attempted to distance herself. At some point, he grabbed her arm, forced her to the ground, and attempted to sexually assault her.
The victim, who already was assessing her surroundings, began screaming, hitting the suspect, and kicking him. He ran away from the victim, behind the medical building and out of view. She immediately called the Sheriff’s Department and patrol deputies quickly responded, but they were unable to locate the suspect, despite a thorough search of the surrounding neighborhoods.
There have been no other related reports in the area. Anyone having any information on this suspect or relating to this case is asked to call Detective Campbell at Santa Clarita Sheriff’s Station, 255-1121.
“Residents in the area should be aware of their surroundings and immediately report any suspicious persons to our station,” said Captain Anthony La Berge of the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station. “We have increased patrols in the area and will be proactive in our efforts,” he added.
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station officials are offering the following personal safety tips:
- Always be alert and aware of the people around you, especially if you are alone or it is dark
- Educate yourself concerning prevention tactics
- Be aware of locations and situations which would make you vulnerable to crime, such as alleys, dark parking lots, and remote unlit or sparsely traveled walkways and pathways
- Whenever possible, travel or walk with a friend
- Stay in well-lighted areas as much as possible
- Avoid doorways, bushes, and alleys where someone could hide
- Do not respond to conversation from strangers on the street when other risk factors are present, continue walking
- Carry purses or bags securely between your arm and your body
- Immediately report suspicious persons or vehicles to the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station
Anyone with any information regarding this crime should contact the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station at (661) 255-1121.