Caltrans plans to close the lanes, ramps and connectors listed below as part of a $140 million improvement project to construct High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV or carpool) lanes and a direct HOV lane connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange. Ramp closures will be staggered. Closures are subject to change. Detours will be signed.
Golden State Freeway (I-5); Sunday, April 8, to Friday, April 13
- Up to three lanes of northbound I-5 between SR-170 and SR-118; from 11 p.m.- 6 a.m.
- Westbound Osborne Street on-ramp to northbound I-5; from 9 p.m.- 6 a.m. and 9 a.m.- 3 p.m.
- Up to three lanes of southbound I-5 between SR-118 and Osborne Street; from 9 p.m.- 6 a.m.
- Southbound I-5 connector to southbound SR-170, from 11 p.m.- 6 a.m.
- Eastbound Osborne Street on-ramp to southbound I-5; from 9 p.m.- 6 a.m. and 9 a.m.- 3 p.m.
- Southbound I-5 off-ramp to eastbound/westbound Osborne Street, from 9 p.m.- 6 a.m. and 9 a.m.- 3 p.m.
Long-term on-ramp closures:
- Eastbound Sheldon Street to northbound I-5 (opens May 2012)
- Eastbound Osborne Street to northbound I-5 (opens October 2012)
- Westbound Van Nuys Boulevard to southbound I-5 (opens May 2012)
- Branford Street to southbound I-5 (opens August 2012)
Long-term off-ramp closures:
- Northbound I-5 to Osborne Street (opens April 2012)
- Northbound I-5 to Sheldon Street (opens April 2012)
- Northbound I-5 to westbound Van Nuys Boulevard (opens May 2012)
- Southbound I-5 to eastbound/westbound Paxton Street (opens May 2012)
- Northbound SR-170 to northbound Sheldon Street (opens October 2012)
Hollywood Freeway (SR-170); Sunday, April 8 to Friday, April 13
- Northbound SR-170 connector to northbound I-5; from 11:59 p.m.- 5 a.m.
- Sheldon Street/Arleta Street on-ramp to southbound I-5; from 9 a.m.- 3 p.m.
About the Project
Caltrans is constructing an HOV lane in each direction on I-5 between the Hollywood Freeway (SR-170) and SR-118, a distance of 6.8 miles (3.4 miles in each direction). The project is also widening four undercrossings, replacing sections of pavement, and building a direct HOV connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange. A direct HOV connector allows for freeway-to-freeway transfers without exiting the carpool lane.
This project will alleviate congestion, encourage carpooling, improve air quality, and provide a smoother ride for motorists. The work is part of Caltrans’ effort to provide motorists with a seamless carpool lane network in California.
Work began in August 2010 and is on track for completion in late 2013. Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction.
For more information, visit www.I-5info.com.