Caltrans plans to close the lanes and ramps listed below as part of a $140 million improvement project to construct High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV or carpool) lanes and a direct HOV lane connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange. Ramp closures will be staggered. Closures are subject to change. Detours will be signed.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Don’t miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox
Lane closure information for this and other freeway projects is available on the Caltrans website: http://www.lcswebreports.dot.ca.gov/lcswebreports/
Golden State Freeway (I-5), Sunday, June 3, to Friday, June 8
- All northbound lanes closed between Lankershim Boulevard and Osborne Street, from midnight to 5 a.m. Note: Expect additional northbound lane closures (though not all lanes) on other stretches of I-5 between SR-170 and SR-118 from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Westbound Lankershim Boulevard on-ramp to northbound I-5, from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Northbound Sheldon Street/Laurel Canyon Boulevard on-ramp to northbound I-5 from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Westbound Tuxford Street on-ramp to northbound I-5, from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Up to three lanes of southbound I-5 between SR-118 and Osborne Street from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Long-term on-ramp closures:
- Westbound Van Nuys Boulevard to southbound I-5 (opens July 2012)
- Branford Street to southbound I-5 (opens August 2012)
- Eastbound Osborne Street to northbound I-5 (opens October 2012)
- Westbound Osborne Street to northbound I-5 (opens October 2012)
Long-term off-ramp closures:
- Southbound I-5 to eastbound/westbound Paxton Street (opens June 2012)
- Northbound I-5 to Branford Street (opens October 2012)
- Northbound I-5 to westbound Terra Bella Street (opens October 2012)
- Northbound SR-170 to Sheldon Street (opens October 2012)
- Northbound I-5 to eastbound Van Nuys Boulevard (opens January 2012)
Hollywood Freeway (SR-170), Sunday, June 3, to Friday, June 8
- Northbound SR-170 connector to northbound I-5 from 11:59 p.m. to 5 a.m.
About the Project
Caltrans is constructing an HOV lane in each direction on I-5 between the Hollywood Freeway (SR-170) and SR-118, a distance of 6.8 miles (3.4 miles in each direction). The project is also widening four undercrossings, replacing sections of pavement, and building a direct HOV connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange. A direct HOV connector allows for freeway-to-freeway transfers without exiting the carpool lane.
This project will alleviate congestion, encourage carpooling, improve air quality, and provide a smoother ride for motorists. The work is part of Caltrans’ effort to provide motorists with a seamless carpool lane network in California.
Work began in August 2010 and is on track for completion in late 2013. Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction.
For more information, visit www.I-5info.com