The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) plans to close the ramps, lanes and connector listed below as part of a $140 million improvement project to construct High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV or carpool) lanes and a direct HOV lane connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange.
Ramp closures will be staggered within the closure window indicated. Closures are subject to change. Detours will be signed.
Don’t miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox
Golden State Freeway (I-5) – Monday, November 28, to Friday, December 2
- Westbound Osborne Street on-ramp to northbound I-5; 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Up to two lanes of northbound I-5 between Sheldon St. and Paxton St.; 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Up to three lanes of southbound I-5 between Paxton St. and Sheldon St.; 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Southbound I-5 connector to southbound SR-170; 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Westbound Osborne Street on-ramp to southbound I-5; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Southbound I-5 off-ramp to eastbound/westbound Osborne St.; 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Eastbound Osborne Street on-ramp to southbound I-5; 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Westbound Osborne Street on-ramp to southbound I-5; 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Westbound Van Nuys Boulevard on-ramp to southbound I-5; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Westbound Paxton Street on-ramp to southbound I-5; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The following on-ramps will be closed through January 2012:
- Eastbound Osborne Str. to northbound I-5
- Branford St. to southbound I-5
- Westbound Van Nuys Boulevard to southbound I-5
The following off-ramps will be closed through January 2012:
- Northbound I-5 to Osborne Street
- Southbound I-5 to eastbound/westbound Paxton Street
Hollywood Freeway (SR-170)
Sunday, November 20, to Wednesday, November 23
- Northbound SR-170 off-ramp to Sheldon St.; 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sheldon St./Arleta St. on-ramp to southbound SR-170; 11:59 p.m. to 6 a.m.
About the Project
Caltrans is constructing an HOV lane in each direction on I-5 between the Hollywood Freeway (SR-170) and SR-118, a distance of 6.8 miles (3.4 miles in each direction). The project is also widening four undercrossings, replacing sections of pavement, and building a direct HOV connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange. A direct HOV connector allows for freeway-to-freeway transfers without exiting the carpool lane.
This project will alleviate congestion, encourage carpooling, improve air quality, and provide a smoother ride for motorists. The work is part of Caltrans’ effort to provide motorists with a seamless carpool lane network in California.
Work began in August 2010 and is on track for completion in late 2013. Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit www.I-5info.com.