Jury convicts on 27 out of 29 counts of rape, attempted murder by knife-wielding attacker.
A man who broke into four Santa Clarita homes in 2007 and raped at least three of the women victims was convicted by a jury Tuesday of forcible rape and other charges that are expected to send him to prison for the remainder of his life.
Deputy District Attorney Angela Jordan said the jury deliberated just over two days before convicting 31-year-old Adrian Guadalupe Arriano of all but two of the 29 criminal counts filed against him in late 2007.
Arriano is scheduled to be sentenced on March 4 by Superior Court Judge Barbara Scheper, who presided over the month-long trial. Jordan said he faces multiple life sentences.
The jury convicted the defendant of four counts of burglary, five counts of sexual penetration by a foreign object, 10 counts of forcible rape, three counts of sodomy by use of force, three counts of forcible oral copulation, one count of false imprisonment and one count of assault to commit rape, sodomy and oral copulation during a first-degree burglary. Except for the burglary counts, the jury found true allegations including use of a knife during the crimes.
The jury found the defendant not guilty of one count attempted murder of one victim. Although finding him not guilty of one count of residential robbery of a second victim, the jury found him guilty of a lesser and included charge of larceny.
The four Santa Clarita homes were broken into between Jan. 6 and Sept. 10, 2007, when the defendant was arrested. He has remained in custody since then.
For previous reports on Arriano’s arrest, click here .