Ivy Day Spa – Mother’s Day Giveaway – Banner
It is forecast to be Clear at 7:00 PM PDT on May 05, 2015
Home » Santa Clarita News » Carbon Monoxide A Silent Killer On Cold Nights

Carbon Monoxide A Silent Killer On Cold Nights

khts_fireenginefrontOver the New Year’s weekend, two women in Willowbrook were fatally poisoned by carbon monoxide after deciding to use their gas home oven to keep warm, and three others in the City of Inglewood nearly lost their lives using a faulty gas wall heater. County firefighters are urging residents to use their home appliances safely – and only for their intended purpose.

“The victims, ages 81 and 63, were trying to stay warm by using their home oven to heat their apartment.  With windows locked and the oven set on high heat with the door open, they received a concentrated exposure to carbon monoxide, which sadly turned out to be fatal,” says Los Angeles County Fire Chief P. Michael Freeman.  “Our firefighters tried to resuscitate them, but it was too late.”

Don’t miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox

Yesterday, three residents, including two young children, became lethargic and semi-conscious after using a faulty wall heater to heat their apartment to temperatures between 80 and 90 degrees.  According to the Gas Company, the unit had been inspected and found to be faulty, and the apartment building owner had been notified.  All three victims were treated by County firefighters and survived the ordeal.

“We urge all residents to never use their ovens, range, or portable outdoor barbecue to heat their homes because these appliances are not designed for this purpose,” says Freeman.

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer because it is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is formed when carbon-based fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, charcoal or wood are burned with inadequate amounts of oxygen, creating a condition known as “incomplete combustion.”  In the case of home gas appliances, this can be caused by improper installation, poor maintenance, or appliance misuse or failure.  The early stages of carbon monoxide poisoning produce unexplained flu-like symptoms; its gradual displacement of oxygen in the blood and prolonged exposure can lead to death.

To keep your family safe, install a certified, battery-operated Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm or plug-in CO alarm with battery back-up in your home in the hallway near the bedrooms in each sleeping area. Make sure your appliances are installed according to the manufacturer’s instruction and the local codes. Have your heating system (including chimneys and vents) inspected and serviced annually.  The Southern California Gas Company offers this service for free.

For information on how carbon monoxide can kill, click here and here.

For more home appliance safety information, please visit the Southern California Gas Company website at http://www.socalgas.com/safety/appliance.html, or the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission website at http://www.cpsc.gov.

Carbon Monoxide A Silent Killer On Cold Nights

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

About KHTS AM 1220

AV Party Rental – News Banner
Beyond Harmony – News Banner
Hugo Naturals – News Banner
All American Bail Bonds – News Banner
Action Family Counseling – News Banner
Academy Swim Club – News Banner
College Of The Canyons – News Banner
Union Bank – Tile
College Of The Canyons – Tile
Valencia United Methodist Church – Under God’s Sea – Tile
Nothing Bundt Cakes – Tile
Outlets at Tejon – Tile
Valencia United Methodist Church – Luau Lunch – Tile