The County of Los Angeles is sponsoring a series of free seminars during January, February, March, April, May and June, 2012, to assist property owners who feel their taxes should be lowered due to a decline in the value of their property.
The 90 – minute seminar will be offered six times at various locations: Culver City, El Monte, Glendale, Lakewood, Lancaster and Van Nuys.
Don’t miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox
The seminar is intended to help taxpayers better understand the assessment appeals process, which many find confusing. The seminar will be of value to homeowners who are interested in learning about the assessment appeals process and to those who have already filed an appeal. The seminar will cover taxpayers appeal rights and when to file an application for reduction in assessment. The seminar will also cover how to prepare for a hearing, what qualifies as admissible evidence, what will happen at the hearing and what to expect after the hearing.
The dates, time and locations of the sessions are:
- Thursday, January 26, 10:00 a.m — Culver City Public Library, 4975 Overland Ave. Free parking behind the library.
- Thursday, March 22, 10:00 a.m. — El Monte – Jack Crippen, Senior Center, Crafts Room, 3120 N. Tyler Ave. Free parking.
- Wednesday, February 8, 10:00 a.m. — Glendale – Public Library, 222 E. Harvard St. The library will validate three hours parking at the corner of Maryland and Harvard.
- Thursday, June 21, 10:00 a.m. — Lakewood – Angela M. Iacoboni Library, 4990 Clark Ave. Parking at corner of Clark Avenue and Del Amo Boulevard.
- Wednesday, May 16, 10:00 a.m. — Lancaster – Public Library, 601 W. Lancaster Blvd., Free parking.
- Wednesday, April 11, 2:00 p.m. — Van Nuys – Bernardi Senior Center, 6514 Sylmar Ave. Free parking, entrance on Hamlin Street.
Persons with disabilities who believe they need reasonable accommodation in order to attend the seminar may call (213) 974-7953 or (800) 735-2922 (TDD). Schedules for seminars may be obtained by calling (213) 974-7953 or on the Internet at https://lacaab.lacounty.gov/PubEdProg.aspx