What a wild ride this has been!
When Carl Goldman and his son joined me for a Fire Ecology hike in Whitney Canyon in August, 2004, I had no idea it would lead to almost 10 years of sharing stories with you.
My goal for these stories has always been simple: to encourage you to understand, appreciate and care about the natural world in our Santa Clarita Valley. As a Christian, I believe we are called to be stewards of God’s creation. As a naturalist, I know that understanding, appreciating and caring go hand-in-hand. And I know that without caring, conservation does not occur. As Dr. Seuss says in “The Lorax”,
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
But I couldn’t have done this for 10 years without help. My “Thank-you” list is as big as all outdoors:
- my husband, Hugh, who never once complained about the early wake-up alarm on Friday morning
- Carl Goldman, who gave me the opportunity to do this
- the DJ’s, who helped me keep it short and pithy
- the “behind the scenes” people at KHTS, who never complained, even when I occasionally missed the deadline
- the creative and generous people who allowed me to share their photos with you
- the MRCA Rangers and Naturalists, who taught me how to tell an interpretive story
- the listeners and readers
- and the people of Santa Clarita, who are committed to preserving open space in our valley
Thanks again for allowing me to spend a few minutes with you on Friday mornings. It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood. I encourage you to go outside and play.
Stay tuned to KHTS AM-1220 and the KHTS website for future plans for the SCV Outdoor Report.
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at email@example.com.
Source: Santa Clarita News