Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
MICHAEL is making incredible progress – it is much faster than anyone expected. He is very strong and motivated. Also, his face looks great – the synthetic skin has been removed from most of his face and his own skin has healed beautifully underneath.
DAVIDS burns are healing nicely. He is alert & responsive, although he is still on the respirator. We hope and pray for his respiratory system to recover quickly.
* Hospital Visits. We know that many of you wish to visit the Ewarts and that you have the best of intentions, however, we must caution you that when the "go ahead" for visitors is given, it can be quite overwhelming for the patients to feel that they have to "entertain" everyone who stops by. The most important thing that is needed for the healing process is lots of rest & quiet time. When we get to the point where visitors are allowed, we are planning to set up a special hotline number for you to call to "schedule" a visitation time. This will help the Ewarts so that they do not become too overwhelmed and will help with "crowd control" as well. Please stay tuned for additional details as we get closer to that time.
* Today (Friday), Michael had his first "Sports Star" visit, by Jerry Owens. A little background: Jerry Owens went to Hart and played football for UCLA for 3 years. He then went to Masters College, changed to baseball and was named "Male Athlete of the Year" his second year at Masters. Most recently, he was traded to the WHITE SOX. He brought some goodies for Michael, including some laminated recent articles about him, a signed ball in a case, a signed baseball card and an autographed White Sox hat! He also brought him a White Sox mug and a book by John Wooden, called "Pyramid to Success". Apparently, Michael was extremely receptive to Mr.. Owens – almost to the point of being mesmerized. He had great eye contact and even whispered a few questions. It was a very engaging visit that Michael will probably remember for the rest of his life! Jerry even invited Michael & his family to their Spring Training in Tucson (where a lot of Michaels family lives) and will try to arrange for him to throw out the first pitch! If this doesn’t give you goosebumps, I don’t know what will! This means so much to Michael!! Special thanks to PAULA CHARNOCK for coordinating this & setting it all up!
*Mark your Calendars for Sunday, March 19, 2006, as we are planning a BENEFIT COMEDY SHOW at J.R.’s Comedy Club at Marie Callendars. The show will consist of "G" Rated Comedy, intended for families. The cost for the show will be $20 per person, and J.R.’s will be donating this entire amount to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund!!!! Special thanks to Richard Varner for coordinating this event!! We will be working out the details for purchasing tickets, but we are currently starting an interest list. The club will hold 90 people and our goal is to sell out!!! Please e-mail me if you would like to be added to the interest list. We will contact you when tickets are available. If you would like to have dinner with your show, here are the details: There will be a limited menu from which to order off of: You can choose the $22/meal which would be a pasta dish or salmon dish, OR the $29/meal which will include a Tri Tip or Prime Rib. Patrons must pay for their own meals. Dinner is at 5:30pm. If you do not wish to come for dinner, you can come at 7:00 for the comedy show. It will be $20/person, plus a 2-drink minimum per person (they do not need to be alcoholic drinks – soda or tea is fine). Deep thanks to the folks at J.R.’s and Marie Callendars for all their help in putting this together.
* In conjunction with the Benefit Comedy Show, Richard Varner of Student Transportation of America has committed his organization to donate an additional $5.00 per head for every person who attends the comedy show!! SO…if we can fill the room with 90 people, Student Transportation of America will donate an additional $450.00. Thank you, Richard!!! Let’s fill that room!!!!
* We want to thank THE SIGNAL NEWSPAPER for their article in today’s newspaper – we so appreciate the newspapers keeping this story "alive" in the papers.
* The President of the Newcomers and Friends Social Club informs us that the Board has approved a $1,000 donation to the Ewart Family!! Thank you so much – all I can say is if I was a Newcomer to this town and I saw the degree of support that was being given to this family, I’d never want to leave!! That’s exactly why we all live in Santa Clarita and LOVE it!!!
* The Hart Show Choir is having their pop show, "Cabaret" on January 19 and 20th. They would like to offer a portion of the proceeds to the David Ewart Catastrophe Fund. They generally sell out of all their performances, that is 800 seats for 2 nights. They are willing to offer a portion of the proceeds, OR, they may offer an extra night, Wednesday 1/18 (IF the auditorium is available – we are still checking) and donate it totally to the Ewart fund. Ticket sales begin on January 14th. The shows begin at 7:00pm at the Hart auditorium and tickets are $10 for premium seats (center section) or $6.00 for students, children, seniors & all others. Please stay tuned for details.
* The Environment of People Foundation has raised $10,849.00 in donations from their website, plus an additional $5,550 in checks – that’s a total of $16,399!!! WOW!!! These numbers are huge – we can’t thank EOPF enough for all they are doing to help the Ewarts. Please spread the word about the website: www.EwartAid.org where people can directly link EOPF to make a donation via the web. This is ideal for all the out of town well-wishers that would like to help, but aren’t sure how to go about doing so. Every little bit makes a difference & the Ewarts are going to need as much as they can get. Thank you so much Dennis Dreith & Shari Hoffman for providing this link!
* B & B Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy on Lyons Avenue has offered to give both David and Michael PHYSICAL THERAPY at the insurance cost only (or no charge if the insurance doesn’t cover it).
* Debbie’s Hallmark Stores have a donation jar at both of their locations and so far have deposited over $2,000!!! Both of their stores are located in Canyon Country, so if you get a chance, please stop by and say "hi". Their stores are located at: 16628 Soledad Canyon Road (corner of Soledad and Sand Canyon) and 26880 N. Sierra Hwy (corner of Via Princessa and Sierra Hwy, near Costco).
* Saturday, January 7, 2006 from 9:00am to 6:00pm – Hart Baseball Spring Tryouts – please stop by the "Ewart" table and enjoy viewing pictures of the kids in their Baseball attire over the years! The Signal will be sending a photographer to the event as well. THANKS, SIGNAL!!!
* Blood Drive – Saturday, January 7, 2006 from 10:00am to 4:00pm at Newhall Church of the Nazarene, 23857 The Old Road, Newhall, CA 91321 Walk-ins are welcome. Also, you may register for the bone marrow registry in hopes of helping out Ryan Baker and his family. If you register for the bone marrow registry today, there will be a small fee, whereas if you come on the 22nd, it is fully funded. Call (661) 259-5272 if you have questions.
* Fund Raising Committee Meeting – Saturday, January 7, 2006, at 9:00am at the Valencia Hills Clubhouse, 24060 Oak Vale Drive, Valencia, CA 91355. This is open to everyone who volunteered to be on the Fund Raising committee.
* Blood Drive & Bone Marrow Registry – Sunday, January 22, 2006 from 2:00pm to 6:00pm.