Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Last weekend, David Ewart was the final family member to be released from the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist as the Ewart’s recover. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
DAVID is working very hard at his physical therapy. When he has free time, he squeezes a ball with his hands to try to stretch/loosen up his fingers. He still has a number of very tender spots on his back. His range of motion is slightly limited, so there are a few clothing items that would make his life much easier. If you are able to pick up any of the items below, please let us know & we will give you delivery instructions.
7 button-down shirts – either cotton or other lightweight material – size XL
7 thin long sleeved t-shirts – size XL
3 Zip-Up Sweatshirts / Hoodies – size XL
The reason for the XL size is so that the clothing can fit very loosely.
MICHAEL continues with his therapy & doctors appointments. The family is having some time management adjustments with all the appointments and all the after-school needs of the kids. We are now going to be providing dinners on a nightly basis, instead of every other night. If you have not signed up & would like to assist with meals, please contact Diane Kaufler at 661.259-2766 or email her at DKinSCV@comcast.net If you have already signed up, Diane will be contacting you as soon as she can. As a side note, Michael needs to "bulk up", and needs to consume 3,000 calories a day.
* SCC Fund Raising – We just had to share that we sampled the breads from www.butterbraid.com and they are amazing!!! Patty, the distributor gave us some freshly baked samples this morning, and they were some of the most delicious breads we’ve ever tasted!!! The aroma is heavenly, the texture is dreamy and the flavor is beyond description. This would be a perfect fund raiser for any of the groups out there…I would encourage you to buy at least two, because after you taste the first one, you’re not going to want to wait for the second one. LOL. You can check out their website at the above address, and remember that the Ewarts will get 40% of the cost! The retail price is $10.00 each. Simply send a note detailing the quantity & flavor of the breads you’d like & send a check ($10 per loaf – no tax) to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321, attn: Josy. As soon as we receive payment, we will process your order. Please make checks payable to "SCC Fund Raising". Free delivery to all SCV residents. If you live out of the area, we will advise you of a particular date/location for you to come pick up your order from. If you have a group (i.e. work office, church, temple, scouts, youth group, school, sports team, etc., that would like to sell these items, we will be happy to help you coordinate that effort). Thanks to SCC Fund Raising for this fantastic & unique opportunity!
* Reminder: Scrapbooking Event on Saturday night, 1/28, from 5pm – 10pm at Remember When…Scrapbooking. When all is said and done, most things in a home can be replaced. But nothing can replace the lost memories and pictures. We are grateful to everyone who has been sending in pictures, cards, letters and stories and we are looking forward to creating a most meaningful gift for David – glimpses of his family’s life through the years. We will also be putting together a special album including all of the lovely cards & sentiments that David received while he was in the hospital.
* I have just learned how to update the website myself (thanks to a very understanding & patient hubby). Yay! So, now all of the web pages will be kept in a more up-to-date fashion.
* This is just a friendly reminder to all that if you have not looked at your insurance policy for a while (which most of us are guilty of), you may want to pull it out to make sure that you are covered for TODAY’S prices…not the costs of the time your policy was drawn up in.
*** GENERAL INFORMATION: ***
* Here’s a fun way to help the Ewarts. A long-time friend of David’s, Zoe, has an E-Bay store. She has set aside 8 items for the Ewart Fund – if you win the auction, you’ll not only have a warm and sparkly heart, but also something to give as a gift or keep for yourself! Please visit: www.simplyzoe.com, and bid on the following items: 5081378728, 5081380096, 5081380563, 5081381399, 5081382430, 5081383315, 5081384128, 5081385135…and 5081388227
* If you have items that YOU would like to sell on E-Bay…but you’re not sure if they will sell, or you are not sure how to go about putting them up, please contact Zoe at: email@example.com and she will help determine the items’ sellability. If the items are small enough, she will even offer to have you ship the items to her & she’ll put them on the website for the Ewarts.
* In case anyone would like to have money wired directly into the Ewarts Catastrophe Account, here is the info you will need: Routing Number is: 121000248 (this is considered a "wire"). The account number at Wells Fargo is: 8606-155136, and the name on the account is "David Ewart Catastrophe Fund". To clear up any confusion, the funds in this account are for David AND Michael.
Remember to check the websites… http://www.EwartAid.org
and Jonathan’s website: http://firstname.lastname@example.org/
*** SPECIAL REQUEST ***
* David, a professional violinist in LA had several violins, bows and a viola in his home on December 20th all of which were lost as a result of the tragic fire. This unfortunate loss included several bows by Sartory, Hill and Nurenberger and a fine Italian violin by Jannarius Gaglianus, made in 1765. Anyone who knows David, knows that the music continues to live in his heart, his soul and his spirit. He can’t possibly keep it bottled up inside – his music must be shared with not only the community…but the world. If there is anyone who might have a Jannarius Gaglianus violin in their possession, would they consider letting David use it to share his beautiful music once again? It would be a most amazing blessing if we could help to reunite a masterful violinist with an instrument worthy of his talents.
* Is there a friendly attorney or IRS person out there that could help us file for 501 (c) 3 status (non-profit / charity status)? It sounds like this is a lengthy process with lots of paperwork – we want to make sure all the proper documents are filed on behalf of the Ewarts. This is a little out of our realm of expertise, so any advice would be more than welcome.