Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block.
Hugh Ewart is up and about and is doing much better. He should not need any more surgeries and may be discharged soon.
Michael Ewart had another surgery yesterday to do some more grafting. His lungs are doing better. He will still need more surgeries. He’s still listed as critical, but may soon be able to communicate.
David Ewart had another surgery this morning and we understand he looks good. He has had a lot of grafting from the legs and lower back. He will remain on the ventilator as his trachea and lungs are still healing. There is a chance that his "major" surgeries may be complete.
* We are told that when dealing with burn victims, things are very subject to change. We are delivering the most current status/news available to us at the moment.
* Thanks to all the folks who responded to our need for a fund-raising committee. We are planning to get together after the start of the new year to come up with a game plan to get this effort off the ground. Special thanks to all the professional fund-raisers who are offering their experience and talent to guide us in the right direction.
* Meals: Thanks for the overwhelming response to help with meals!!! Please be sure to leave your phone number when you are responding to Diane so that she may reach you by phone. The list of volunteers is lengthy, but Diane will eventually call you for help. The recovery is going to be long and the Ewarts will need our help for a long time. Remember, you can reach Diane at: DKinscv@comcast.net or by phone (661) 259-2766.
* A friend of David’s from Washington has started a prayer chain in the US and Europe praying for David and his family.
* We received notification of a donation of a complete girls’ room furnishings, including a dresser, desk, night stand, and headboard that are all in good condition. They are also willing to donate office furniture – an oak desk with attached computer table, 2 oak book shelves and an oak 4-drawer file cabinet.
* Anonymous donor – A large box of brand new t-shirts, baseball caps and food gift certificates was donated.
* If you get a chance, go check out this website: http://www.violinist.com/blog/archive.cfm?article=4221 ( you may need to cut & paste into your browser). This was sent by a violinist, Laurie Niles who sat next to David in September in the New West Symphony. She has a readership of about 4,000 violinists from all around the world. She has so kindly posted a story about David with space for people to write words of encouragement to him and his family. She has also provided the information needed to send a donation.
* Our updates are reaching across the nation. Today we heard from someone in Florida who forwarded the Ewarts information to the American Federation of Music Local 389 where David was a member for several years. It has also been forwarded to the Orlando Philharmonic. The Union probably won’t see this until next week, but David was a very active Union member while he worked in Central Florida. For several years, David played in the Florida Symphony Orchestra. It folded in 1993 and many of David’s colleagues are no longer living there…but the word is going out in hopes of contacting these friends.
* Website – Heartfelt thanks to Marc Sazer who has been working feverishly to create a website for David. He has made amazing progress since he started yesterday – we think we’ll be ready to "go live" very soon.
* The Zonta Club (a local woman’s organization) of the Santa Clarita Valley holds a Rent-A-Santa fundraiser each year for the club and David rented their Santa and Mrs. Claus for his party again this year, as he has for the past 10 years. The Club has donated this service this year and has extended the offer again next year, regardless of the situation.
* We are working on contacting Oprah’s Angel Network – thanks again to David’s friend in Spokane.
* Is there anyone out there with access to a truck or large vehicle that could help coordinate the pick-up and transport of some furniture items being donated from the people’s homes to the storage facility in Castaic? Please contact Josy at Blocktalk@pacbell.net
* Furniture Donation Coordinator – We are looking for a coordinator to handle the communications & follow-through of the larger-ticket donations. This will include acknowledgement and coordination for pick-up and delivery to the storage location. If you can help in this capacity, please contact Josy at Blocktalk@pacbell.net