Here’s the latest update on the Ewart Family. In the early morning on Tuesday, December 20th, fire destroyed their Valencia home. Six family members were in the house at the time, three were seriously injured and sent to the Grossman Burn Center. Since the fire, our Valley has jumped in to assist. This is the latest update courtesy of neighbors, Josy and Steve Block
MICHAEL will hopefully have his final surgery on Thursday morning at 6:00am. The doctors feel that they can take skin from other places of his body and use it on his back in conjunction with synthetic skin on parts of his back and chest. This is very good news. (Please go to Jonathan Ewart’s website for more details – link below)
DAVID – a decision on the respirator should be coming within the next day or so. They are using a fiber optic camera put down his throat to evaluate the swelling in there. Hopefully the ventilator will be able to come out in the next few days. (Please go to Jonathan Ewart’s website for more details – link below)
* Michael’s younger brother, Jonathan, 13, has done an outstanding job in creating a very detailed website that he is planning to update on a regular basis. This website includes detailed information (including meals eaten, conversations, medical procedures and pictures of the family (the pictures are family pictures from before the fire). If you get a chance, please visit his site at: email@example.com
* As soon as possible, we will be adding Jonathan’s website link to the www.EwartAid.org website, so you’ll be able to go to one location and view both sites!
* Blood Drive (January 22 at the Newhall Church of the Nazarene) – We have been asked to remind everyone that if you have already donated blood, you can still register in the National Bone Marrow Donor Registry for the Bakers. This procedure is as simple as a finger prick. If you are planning to donate blood that day, both can be done at the same time.
* Just an FYI…David is an alumni of the University of Arizona and we understand that one of the nurses there forwarded the donation information to the Alumni Association.
* James Foster Elementary School is planning the following fundraisers for the Ewart Family…Candy Gram – this will run from mid-January through Valentines Day. This will be run by the Student Council as part of their community service. Their PTA is having a Family Night on January 20th with The Wisdom Tree. 10% of all sales from the night will be donated to the Ewart family. In Spring, they are having a Restaurant Night in which the proceeds will be going to the Ewart Family. THANK YOU JAMES FOSTER ELEMENTARY!!!!!
* Pictures – We need more pictures for our Scrapbooking Event on January 28th. Please…see if you can find pictures of the Ewarts OR pictures of you, their friends, please send to: Imagination Station, PO Box 220983, Newhall, CA 91321 ATTN: PICTURES.
* Donations & Transportation Departments…Thank you to all the wonderful friends who have offered to donate furniture items and to all the fabulous folks who have offered to pick up & deliver the goods to the storage facility. We will be passing the information onto our coordinator who will work with you to select a pick-up date/time and arrange for your items to be picked up & stored. All items will be cataloged so that we’ll know exactly what is in the storage facility.
* We know a lot of you want to visit Michael and David in the Burn Center…please remember that visitors are still limited to immediate family only. As soon as this changes, we will let you know!
* We have some special things that are "in the works" that we can’t mention yet, so even though these emails are looking shorter and shorter, the efforts are actually longer and longer! As things begin to materialize and dates begin to solidify we will be providing much more information – please stay tuned!!