By: Doctor Polucki
Medical expenses top the reasons for bankruptcy and foreclosure. The reform politicians debate over only proposed changes to whom pays for the most expensive and one of the least effective healthcare systems on the planet. Real reform requires a change in the American approach towards health.
We Americans represent 5% of the world population, take more medication than most other countries combined and yet there are 33 countries with a healthier population. Disease is a lucrative business in the United States so there is a direct conflict of interest when it comes to who is in charge of the cost of health in this country. The Centers for Disease Control estimates that every dollar spent on prevention is worth sixteen dollars of treatment, making your health the best investment you can make.
Don’t miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts delivered right to your inbox.
Here are 5 tips to take control of your health and avoid devastating medical expenses.
1. Eat 70% vegetarian. Even in “Paleo” times, most of the food was the vegetation found on the hunt. Bonus points for raw, organic and local. My favorite super veggies are: Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries and homegrown Sprouts.
2. Drink half your weight (pounds), every day, in ounces of filtered water with a pinch of sea salt in each pint. For example; if you weigh 150 pounds, you must drink at least 75 ounces of water to flush metabolic wastes from your body.
3. Breathe deeply from the belly and sweat every day for 15 minutes. Shallow chest breathing starves your tissues of oxygen and strains your neck. Deep-belly breathing like a martial artist gives you more energy and helps your immune system circulate through your body. Revving the metabolism up to the sweating point and holding it there for fifteen minutes is a fat loss, sugar burning, detoxifying triple play. While you may have a favorite method for getting sweaty, I suggest you work as hard as you safely can in the shortest amount of time at least a few times a week for added metabolic benefit. The current minimal recommendations are 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise; like a 30 minute brisk walk every day or 75 minutes of intense exercise a week like 25 minutes of resistance (weight training) three times a week or my favorite, 15 minutes of full-body-high-intensity-interval training five times a week.
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at email@example.com.
4. Decompress from daily stress. As mental, emotional and physical stresses build up every day, if you don’t find an effective way of releasing that tension in your shoulders, you could be on the fast track for one of the top five killer diseases. Some people swear by acupuncture, yoga or Pilates to stay loose. We teach a form of acupressure massage to couples and an advanced foam roller technique that is remarkably effective. The most important connective tissue to decompress is the central nerve system and for that I recommend a no twist or crack form of chiropractic called Upper Cervical Specific that takes several years of post-graduate training for the doctor to be certified. Ask to see the chiropractor’s certification if they claim to offer this highly specialized service.
5. Learn something new about health and avoiding disease every week. In just one year you will have fifty new ways to save money, feel better, look younger and live longer. Now if there was only a place where you could get that priceless information for free…
Dr. Thomas Polucki is a Board Certified Doctor of Chiropractic certified in Functional Diagnostic Nutrition and Metabolic Typing. Find more information at www.doctorpolucki.com. Call 661-753-9340 to schedule a free phone consultation. Patients are seen by appointment only at 25050 Peachland Avenue, Suite 105, Newhall, California 91321.
Source: Santa Clarita News