Fellow Member of Congress, Dr. Tom Price, to join-in on call.
Buck McKeon is getting ready to tackle a major issue with his constituents tonight, in a “tele-town hall” meeting starting at 7:00 p.m. All members of McKeon’s 25th congressional district are welcome to call in and join McKeon in a discussion about current proposals being debated in Congress to reform the nation’s health care system.
According to McKeon’s office, fellow Member of Congress Dr. Tom Price (R-GA), will also be a participant in the tele-town hall and will be available to serve as a medical resource for citizens.
While many elected officials choose to conduct in-person town hall meetings, McKeon opted for the telephone-based medium because it allows over 67,000 constituents to be called throughout the district over the span of the hour, and because it make the participation of Dr. Price possible. Additionally, a new video component allows constituents to view the tele-town hall live, type in questions online, and hear the live question and answer exchange with the Congressman.
“I’ve been utilizing tele-town halls for years now, and they have been incredibly successful and well-received,” said McKeon. “They are the most effective way for me to reach the greatest number of constituents at any one given time, further allowing increased contact and communication with the district. At a time when the health care debate has seemingly reached a pinnacle, I believe hosting such a town hall is extremely important. There are a lot of emotions running high across the country, and it is my hope that the meeting will answer questions and keep constituents informed about the health care proposals floating around Washington, D.C. I’m honored that Dr. Tom Price, Chairman of the Republican Study Committee, has agreed to join us. His expertise and career in the medical field are invaluable.”
Any constituent interested in being called during the tele-town hall can simply go to www.mckeon.house.gov to sign-up. On Monday during the call anyone can also go to the Congressman’s official website (www.mckeon.house.gov) to watch the tele-town hall live.
Earlier this year, McKeon and the House Republican Health Care Reform Solutions Group highlighted their goals for reform to the current health care system. Their literature outlines the following goals:
- Make quality health care coverage affordable and accessible for every American, regardless of pre-existing health conditions.
- Protect Americans from being forced into a new government-run health care plan that would eliminate the health care coverage that more than 100 million Americans currently receive through their job.
- Let Americans who like their health care coverage keep it, and give all Americans the freedom to choose the health plan that best meets their needs.
- Ensure that medical decisions are made by patients and their doctors, not government bureaucrats.
- Improve Americans’ lives through effective prevention, wellness, and disease management programs, while developing new treatments and cures for life-threatening diseases.
To read more on their plan, click here.