September 25 has been designated as a “Fee Free Day” for visitors to all national forests, including the Angeles and Los Padres. In all areas of the forest where an Adventure Pass is normally required, the fee will be waived in celebration of National Public Lands Day, which is held each year on the last Saturday in September.
An Adventure Pass is typically required for day use activities and camping at many recreational facilities in the Forest. This weekend’s “Fee Free Day” applies to all Adventure Pass areas except the Lower Santa Ynez Recreation Area, where the fee remains in effect. Other fees such as reservation fees and group site fees will also still apply. Forest visitors who unknowingly validate a daily Adventure Pass on “Fee Free Day” can have the pass replaced free of charge at most Forest Service offices.
Don’t miss a thing. Get breaking news alerts delivered right to your inbox
“National Public Lands Day is the perfect opportunity to get outdoors and enjoy the natural wonders of our public lands,” said Los Padres National Forest Supervisor Peggy Hernandez. “This affords visitors the chance to see what we have to offer free of charge.”
National Public Lands Day began in 1994 with three federal agencies and 700 volunteers. Last year, 150,000 volunteers assisted with projects at over 2,000 locations across the country. This year, Los Padres welcomes volunteer assistance at events that include a trail project at the North Fork Matilija on the Ojai District and a cleanup of the Arroyo Seco River on the Monterey District.
National Public Lands Day is an annual event in which volunteers organize and work to improve the nation’s forests, parks and other public areas. For more information on current conditions and how you can get involved, call the office nearest you.
- Los Angeles River Ranger District (San Fernando): (818) 899-1900, ext. 229
- San Gabriel River Ranger District (Glendora): (626) 335-1251, ext. 237
- Santa Clarita/Mojave Rivers Ranger District: (Valencia): (661) 296-9710, ext. 231
- Monterey District Office – King City (831) 385-5434
- Santa Lucia District Office – Santa Maria (805) 925-9538
- Santa Barbara District Office – Santa Barbara (805) 967-3481
- Ojai District Office – Ojai (805) 646-4348
- Mt. Pinos Ranger District – Frazier Park (661) 245-3731