In the wake of the recent string of earthquakes, the American Red Cross of Greater Los Angeles is encouraging residents to prepare for when a disaster strikes.
The Red Cross in Santa Clarita is preparing by hosting a free fundraising event to fill ten Red Cross Relief Containers throughout the Santa Clarita Valley.
The 20-foot-long containers are placed at strategic locations throughout our valley, and are capable of aiding 300 people for up to five days.
They contain water, food, blankets, personal hygiene items, flashlights and other disaster supplies.
“These containers are important because it takes too much time to move supplies to a location,” said Cary Van Ausdall, public affairs officer for the local Red Cross. “In the Northridge quake, we were cut off because of the damage to the freeways, so a lot of our supplies came from the north. We need to be self sufficient.”
The event will also feature disaster relief equipment on exhibit, a shelter simulation, informational booths, a “what’s in a relief container” display, along with other entertainment and food.
In addition to preparing the community, Van Ausdall says it’s important for individuals to be ready.
The Red Cross offers classes to teach residents how to prepare for disasters, and also provides extensive information on their website
Here is a brief list of what to have in an emergency pack:
- Water-one gallon per person, per day, 3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home
- Food-non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items 3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio, NOAAWeather Radio, if possible
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Medications 7-day supply and medical items
- Multipurpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
- Manual can opener
The Red Cross Fundraiser will take place from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on March 27, at Golden Valley High School.
For more information on how to better prepare for a disaster click here.