World War II veterans were honored during Kern County Raceway Park’s Honor Flight Night Saturday night.
Don’t miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts delivered right to your inbox.
Tim Smith extended his NASCAR Pro Late Model points lead and Tim Esmay topped the largest NASCAR Spec-Mod field in the speedway’s history.
Donny St. Ours, Ryan Vargas, Jerry Flippo, and Kyleigh Forester were also winners in Saturday’s events.
A heavy windstorm caused a two hour delay that canceled the planned skydive by Assemblywoman Shannon Grove and Congressman Kevin McCarthy’s wife Judy, but Grove, McCarthy, and State Senator Jean Fuller kicked off the races by honoring the over 30 WWII Veterans on hand. The veterans received a rousing standing ovation before racing got underway.
Bakersfield’s Tim Smith became the first repeat winner in the Pro Late Models last week, and added to that record with his third win of the year this weekend. Smith paced Donny St. Ours throughout the entire caution-free, 50 lap event in a nose-to-tail battle.
Smith won the war for the $2500 win by .283 seconds, in a race where the pair zipped through 25 miles in just 15 minutes. Chris Dalton made the most of his second start in the series to finish third.
11 NASCAR Spec-Mods were in action in a race for a $500 prize on the half-mile. Sid Payne jumped from fourth into the lead on the opening lap of the race. Tim Esmay had to start at the back after radio issues, but was up to fourth by the fourth lap of the race.
On lap five, second in points Bailey Thompson spun and both points leader Chris Dalton and race leader Sid Payne had to pit for flat left rear tires. That pit stop thrust Esmay into the lead in a rapid rise through the field. Payne charged from the back to run second by lap nine and stayed within striking distance of Esmay to the finish.
Esmay claimed his first win of the year in a close battle over Payne, with Dalton coming back for third ahead of Dylan Hagar and Thompson.
Donny St. Ours finished second in both trophy dashes he entered, and finished second in the Pro Late Models, but managed to top Buddy Shepherd in a caution-free INEX Legends race. St. Ours took the lead on lap two from Eddie Garone and never looked back. Shepherd closed in on the final laps, but fell short by .696 seconds. On the INEX Bandolero side of things, Ryan Vargas snookered points leader Tyler Bannister on lap 11 to lead the final nine laps for victory. Bannister drove with a broken right arm to finish second and maintain his points lead.
Both Mini Dwarf divisions have had dominating performances and that trend continued. Kyleigh Forester started last in the Jr. Mini Dwarf race but inherited the lead by lap three to take her sixth win in seven starts with Kabe McClenny as the only other lead lap car. The Sr. Mini Dwarf race featured 11 entries but Jerry Flippo passed Ryley Millard on lap two to take off to the win, in a perfect seven-for-seven season.
The inaugural season for Kern County Raceway Park continues this Saturday night with NASCAR CITGO Lubricants Late Models, INEX Legnends, INEX Bandoleros, and NASCAR Mini Stocks.
Major marketing partners include Coca Cola, Budweiser, CITGO Lubricants, Monster Energy, Advance Beverage Company, Three-Way Chevrolet, and Whelen Engineering.
For marketing information on Kern County Raceway Park, contact Steven Blakesley of Blakesley Sports Media by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (661) 835-1264, ext 3203
September 21, 2013 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Results
Kern County Raceway Park – Bakersfield, CA
NASCAR Pro Late Model – 50 laps
1) 99 Tim Smith, 2) 2 Donny St. Ours, 3) 6 Chris Dalton, 4) 15 Lance Wilson, 5) 7 Rob Kiemele, 6) 98 Cole Adamo, 7) 3 Keith Spangler, 8) 55 Jeff Eshelman, 9) 29 Anthony Manella, 10) 61 Tim McMullin15:32.533
NASCAR Spec-Modifieds – 30 laps
1) 48 Tim Esmay, 2) 23 Sid Payne, 3) 13 Chris Dalton, 4) 12 Dylan Hagar, 5) 5 Bailey Thompson, 6) 2 Brock Thompson, 7) 4 Eric Brust, 8) 31 Jim Coffey, 9) 7 Kevin Nichols, 10) 20 Mark Allan 18:06.307
INEX Legends – 30 laps
1) 22 Donny St. Ours, 2) 22s Buddy Shepherd, 3) 16 Jonathan St. Ours, 4) 31 Eddie Garone, 5) 17 Eric Olson, 6) 7 Mark Iungerich, 7) 20 Joel Askew, 8) 51 Randy Smith, 9) 07 Garrett Fine 7:30.712
INEX Bandoleros – 20 laps
1) 23 Ryan Vargas, 2) 51 Tyler Bannister, 3) 24 Colton Page, 4) 71 Anthony Balcazar 6:46.317
Sr. Mini Dwarfs – 20 laps
1) 13 Jerry Flippo, 2) 17 Anthony Balcazar, 3) 8 Jeremy Clark, 4) 92 Ryley Millard, 5) 29 Trenton Millard, 6) 33 Brock McLaughlin, 7) 14 Kaylyn Baker, 8) 3 Carter Enos, 9) 34p Paige Minor, 10) 4 Carson Enos, 11) 11 Andrew Orlando 4:01.608
Jr. Mini Dwarfs – 20 laps
1) Kyleigh Forester, 2) 05 Kabe McClenny, 3) 17 Kercie Jung, 4) 00 Cheyenne Flippo, 5) 19b Bailey Thompson, 6) 48 Cabe Lewis, 7) 33j Jaiden Butler 6:14.437
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at email@example.com.
Source: Santa Clarita News