Massive earthquake drill planned for Southern California.
At 10 a.m. on November 13, 2008, millions of southern Californians will Drop, Cover, and Hold On.
“The Great Southern California ShakeOut” is a week of special events featuring the largest earthquake drill in U.S. history, organized to inspire Southern Californians to get ready for big earthquakes and to prevent disasters from becoming catastrophes.
Individuals, families, businesses, schools and organizations will join firefighters, police officers, and other emergency responders in the largest- ever earthquake preparedness activity.
The City of Santa Clarita is organizing the local participation with many schools and businesses already signed on.
AM 1220 KHTS will contribute to the event by broadcasting a live countdown before the earthquake drill at 10 am. When the moment hits, Santa Clarita residents, as well as people all over Southern California will partake in dropping, covering and holding on, a preparation for when a real earthquake shakes the state.
In addition to the ShakeOut Drill, there are many other ways to participate in the ShakeOut, tailored for businesses, schools, individuals, places of worship, and communities.
One of the main goals of the ShakeOut is to review earthquake preparation and drills, so surprise is not a factor when an earthquake hits.
Create or update your family disaster plan
• Is your family communication plan up-to-date?
• Are heavy items secured so that won’t fall?
• Do you have enough water stored?
• Do you have a fire extinguisher?
• Does your home need to be retrofitted?
Create or update your business disaster plan
• Use the ShakeOut as an opportunity to explore the
impacts of a major earthquake on your business.
• Are heavy items secured so they won’t fall?
• Does your building meet modern seismic codes?
• Do you need a back-up generator or water supply?
• Do you have proper numbers of fire extinguishers?
• Visit www.ShakeOut.org/business for resources.
for more information about the event and activities.