“No room is comfortable until there are places to sit upon, put upon and gaze upon” — Billy Baldwin.
When designing a room for my client, there are principles and elements of design that I employ to express the client’s design style. This quote by Billy Baldwin is quite right. It is important to have ample seating for yourself and guests. Cocktail and side tables are ideal locations to place a drink, and art and accessories as well as unique lighting are delicious items for the eye to gaze upon.
Today I would like to share some other important elements necessary to create a comfortable space.
1. Layers of Lighting: When you light everything, you light nothing. So avoid the decorating mistake of having one overhead light for the entire room. I suggest recessed lights for spot lighting, table lamps for ambient lighting, and torchieres for uplighting. These three levels of lighting will dramatically transform your room and make it very comfortable and inviting.
2. Deep Seating: What is more inviting than a deep club chair? I love to sink into mine to read a book, and always have dibs on it for movie night with my family. Consider foam for the seat cushion, and a down blend for the back cushion. This will provide the most comfort and structure to the chair cushions.
3. Window Treatments: Nothing warms a room more than adding fabric at the window. It is my specialty, so I am a bit biased. Let’s just say that after every installation of draperies, my clients comment on how the room feels so much cozier and warmer.
4. Area Rugs: With the flowing floor plans in today’s homes, many times the family or living rooms are a passageway to another part of the house. My method of anchoring the furnishings and making the room feel permanent and comfortable is to add an area rug under the seating group. If your floor is wood or tile under the rug, add a carpet pad to prevent slippage.
5. Flowers: A simple, single type flower such as tulips or peonies in a bud vase is candy for the eye and makes a lovely composition. Make them fresh, and clean the water after a few days to prolong the life of the flowers.
6. Collectibles: Treasured finds or antiques that have been passed on to you can take a room from pretty to fantastic by adding character, history and patina.
If you feel overwhelmed with a to do list and need professional guidance decorating your home. I am here to help you. Please call so we can discuss your design project. 661 430-0127
Tami Smight Interiors, a full-service interior design firm, has been gracing southern California homes with warm, accessible designs since 2004.