Guidelines for dealing with flash floods, home protection offered by Caltrans.
Caltrans Flood Tips for Winter Storms
* Never underestimate the power of water & debris flows.
* Never walk or drive through moving water.
* Form a personal family plan and ensure that all household members know:
* the safest path to access high ground,
* that moving water can be much more dangerous than it appears,
* know an alternate shelter close to your home, and
* where sandbags and sand are available.
* When stacking sandbags or preparing flood control measures:
* try to direct flows away from structures,
* avoid confining flows more than is absolutely required,
* place protection to deflect, not to dam flows,
* clear a path for the debris,
* use buildings as deflectors if necessary,
* remember that debris can enter through a window,
* work together with adjacent property owners,
* prepare to sacrifice the use of portions of your property to achieve good protection.
Stay tuned to KHTS AM 1220 or visit hometownstation.com for the latest storm information, road closures and breaking news.