The Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society will host a tour of the St. Francis Dam Disaster site in San Francisquito Canyon on March 13 to mark the anniversary of the disaster.
The dam break is the second-worst natural disaster in the state of California. The failure of the St. Francis Dam on March 12, 1928 killed more than 450 people, leveled farms and homesteads, destroyed property and livestock, and changed the way dam safety was addressed.
Frank “Dam Man” Rock, considered an expert on the dam disaster, has appeared on the Discovery and History Channels as well as local documentaries. He will give a free lecture at the Saugus Train Station, located at the Heritage Junction Historic Park, followed by a ticketed three-hour motor coach tour of the dam site.
The tour involves a one-mile walk to the dam site and an uphill hike over the dam site.
The lecture starts at 11:00 a.m. at Heritage Junction Historic Park, with the bus leaving to the dam site at 12:00 p.m.
The tour, which is designed as a fundraiser for the Historical Society, will include snacks and transportation. Rock will provide a historical narrative of the disaster during the bus tour.
The lecture is free, but admission for the bus tour is $35 per person.
The tour is expected to sell out, seats may be available the day of the event but reservations are recommended.
Participants should bring comfortable walking shoes and clothing and should be in good health.
To reserve tickets call 661 254-1275.