Numerous closures involving an I-5 carpool lane improvement project were announced by California Department of Transportation officials Friday.
Don’t miss a thing. Get breaking Santa Clarita news alerts delivered right to your inbox.
Ramp closures will be nonconsecutive, detours signs will be displayed and closures are subject to change, said Caltrans officials.
Short- and long-term closures announced by Caltrans:
- Southbound I-5 between the I-5/SR 170 interchange and Sheldon Street will be closed intermittently from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. through April 2014; detour signs will direct motorists
- The median barrier on I-5 between Van Nuys Boulevard and SR-118 is scheduled to be demolished, causing the two lanes closest to the median in both directions to be closed when this work is underway between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. through June 2014
- Up to two lanes between SR-118 and SR-170 on northbound I-5 will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., with the most lanes closed from 12-4 a.m., Sunday through March 14
- Up to four lanes between SR-118 and SR-170 on southbound I-5 will be closed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., with the most lanes closed from 12-4 a.m., Sunday through March 14
- Branford Street on-ramp to southbound I-5 will be closed until April 2014
About The Project:
Caltrans is constructing a carpool lane for 3.4 miles in each direction on I-5 between SR-170 and SR-118, as well as widening four undercrossings, replacing sections of pavement and building a direct carpool connector at the I-5/SR-170 interchange, allowing for freeway-to-freeway transfers without leaving the carpool lane, according to a Caltrans news release.
Goals for the project include alleviating congestion, encouraging carpooling, improving air quality and providing a smoother drive for motorists, said Caltrans officials.
The project is part of an effort by Caltrans to provide motorists with a seamless carpool lane network in the state of California, which began August 2010 and is scheduled for completion in late 2014, said Caltrans officials.
Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.