The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station conducted a DUI/Driver’s License checkpoint on Friday from 6 p.m. 2 a.m. as part of their traffic-safety enforcement effort.
Temperatures dipped into the high 30’s during the checkpoint. This checkpoint was one of many that have been or will be conducted throughout the year in Santa Clarita. The location of Friday’s checkpoint was on Magic Mountain Parkway at Avignon Drive in the Valencia area.
DUI Checkpoints along with regularly scheduled high visibility DUI enforcement serves as a proven deterrent with the goal of removing alcohol and drugged impaired drivers and heightening awareness of the dangers of driving under the influence.
- 964 Vehicles were screened.
- 3 Drivers were given field sobriety tests.
- 2 Drivers were arrested for DUI.
- 4 Unlicensed and/or suspended/revoked drivers were sent to court.
- 10 Drivers were cited and sent to court for various Vehicle Code violations.
“Over the course of the past five years, DUI collisions have claimed 11 lives and resulted in 255 injury crashes harming 363 of our friends and neighbors,” Cohen said. “If everyone planned ahead for a sober, nondrinking designated driver these numbers could be lowered to zero.”