Home » News Articles » Nonimmigrant Temporary Visas and How to Apply

Nonimmigrant Temporary Visas and How to Apply

To gain access to any country, you need a pass which is the purpose of a visa. A visa is a document issued by the government of a country authorizing the bearer to stay in a country. A visa is deemed either immigrant or nonimmigrant.

People temporarily enter the United States for different reasons, either for business, medical purposes, or even tourism. The type of visa issued to these people is a nonimmigrant temporary visa. The type of nonimmigrant visa the US embassy issues to a person are dependent on the purpose of their travel.

Types of Nonimmigrant Visa

Several nonimmigrant visas are available for temporary visitors. Knowing the type of visa issued to you and its requirement is vital.

#1. A-1, A-2, and A-3 Visas

A-1 visa is issued to individuals coming in as official representatives of another country and their spouses and children. This set of people includes diplomats, ambassadors, and ministers. 

A-2 visa, on the other hand, is issued to foreign government employees, their children, and their spouse. Employees of A-1 and A-2 visa holders, including their domestic servants and personal assistant who need to travel with them, are issued A-3 visas.

#2. B-1 and B-2 Visa

These visas are issued to travelers coming into the United States for business and non-business purposes. Some of the purposes for the issue of this type of visa may include business meetings, conference attendance, medical treatment, family visits, vacation, or estate settlement. While a B-1 visa is issued to visitors coming into the US for business purposes, B-2 is given to those traveling for tourism or to receive medical treatment.

#3. C-1 Visa

The embassy issues this type of visa to foreigners en route to other countries but must transit through the US.

#4. D-1 and D-2 Visa

Crew members aboard a ship or plane headed for the US who will be leaving with the same vessel are issued a D-1 visa. On the other hand, crew members who will be leaving the US on a different vessel from the one they came in with receive a D-2 visa.

#5. E-1, E-2, and E-3 Visas

The E-1 and E-2 visa is issued to treaty traders actively working with a US indigenous company and their families. In contrast, the E-3 visa is specifically for Australian nationals coming in to perform professional services.

#6. F-1, F-2, and F-3 Visas

Academic students are issued F-1 visas while their spouses and children who may need to travel with them get an F-2 pass. An F-3 visa is for Canada and Mexico residents carrying out an academic program in the US. 

#7. G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, and G-5 visas

Official representatives of foreign countries working for an international organization in the United States and their spouses and children are issued G-1 and G-2 visas. G-3 is for representatives of foreign governments whose countries are not members of the international organization and their children and spouses. 

On the other hand, international organization officials and their children and spouses are issued a G-4 visa while their workers, servants, and families are a G-5 visa.

#8.H-1B, H-1C, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, and H-4 visas

H-1B is given to specialists in a particular profession who have a degree, while nurses working in the US for nothing less than three years are issued H-1C visas. H-2A and H-2B visas are similar but are not the same. H-2A is issued to agricultural workers coming to fill in positions in the US temporarily, H-2B is given to non-agricultural workers. 

H-3 visas are for trainees whose training cannot be carried on in their countries and need to come in temporarily into the US to get the training. The children and spouses of H-1 to H-3 visas holders may need to travel with them and are issued H-4 visas.

#9. I-1 Visa

Journalists of foreign media outlets visiting the US for work-related activities are issued this type of visa.

#10. J-1 and J-2 Visas

Exchange visitors such as teachers, professors, students, interns, and scholars get this type of visa. Spouses and children of J-1 visa holders are issued J-2 visas.

#11. K-1, K-2, K-3, and K-4 Visas

US residents with foreign fiances and fiancees who need to come into the United States to get legally married can apply for K-1 visas for their partners. At the same time, their minor children are issued K-2 visas. On the other hand, spouses to US citizens awaiting the approval of their immigrant visas can apply for K-3 visas, while K-4 visas are designated for their unmarried children.  

#12. L-1 and L-2 Visas

Individuals working for companies with a branch in the US will need an L-1 Visa to transfer to the US branch. The issuance is on the condition that they have worked consistently with the company for at least one year. When they wish to travel with their children and spouses, these family members will be issued L-2 visas.

#13. M-1, M-2, and M-3 visas

Students coming into the United States as nonacademic or vocational studies qualify for M-1 visas. Their spouses and children qualify for M-2 visas, while Mexico and Canada residents who carry out vocational studies in the US qualify for M-3 visas.

#14. O-1, O-2, and O-3 Visas

People who are extraordinarily skilled in business, sciences, arts, and even athletes are issued O-1 visas. Their support staff who travel with them are issued O-2 visas, while their children and spouses qualify for the O-3 visas.

#15. P-1, P-2, P-3, and P-4 Visas

The P-1 visa is issued to entertainers and athletes with international recognition and their support staff. Recipients of P-2 visas are entertainers or athletes coming in through exchange programs, while P-3 visa recipients are group entertainers. The spouses and children of P-1, P-2, and P-3 who need to travel with them qualify for P-4. 

#16. Q-1, Q-2, and Q-3 visas

Q-1 and Q-2 visas are for participants in cultural exchange programs while their spouses and children qualify for a Q-3 visa.

#17. R-1 and R-2

The R-1 visa is for religious workers visiting the United States temporarily. On the other hand, an R-2 visa is issued to spouses and children of religious workers.

#18. S-5 and S-6 Visas

While people coming into the US to give a criminal organization get an S-5 visa, their children and spouses qualify for an S-6 Visa.

#19. T Visas

This type of visa is for all individuals who are victims of human trafficking and their children and spouses’.

#20. U Visas

Individuals and their families who have gone through mental and physical abuse and are helping provide information to the authorities for investigating the criminal case qualify for this visa type. 

Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa

To apply for a nonimmigrant visa, you must fill out some forms. After filling out the forms, you will be invited to interview at the US embassy. The embassy will run some security checks and the final decision will be made by the consulate. “A proficient attorney could determine which kind of visa is best for your circumstances, provide an overview of the application process, or help you overcome any unexpected setbacks,” says Attorney Zaira Solano of Solano Law Firm, LLC.

Nonimmigrant Temporary Visas and How to Apply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


About KHTS Articles