As the MLB grapples with its first COVID-19 outbreak among the Miami Marlins Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher David Price took to Twitter Monday to question the league’s priorities when it comes to player health, however the team’s front office appears to remain optimistic.
Price opted out of the 2020 season for health reasons and raised his concern for his fellow players on Twitter.
Now we REALLY get to see if MLB is going to put players health first. Remember when Manfred said players health was PARAMOUNT?! Part of the reason I’m at home right now is because players health wasn’t being put first. I can see that hasn’t changed.
— David Price (@DAVIDprice24) July 27, 2020
Dodgers team president Stan Kasten called into MLB Network Radio Monday and said for the teams other than the Marlins he expected it to be “business as usual.”
“I don’t believe there’s going to be any panic just yet. I think we understood there might be occasions like this, which is why we had our player pool as big as it is,” said Kasten. “I don’t know what’s going to happen to the Marlins because I don’t really know the extent of it just yet, and who may or may not be infected and for how long they may be at risk.”
At least 17 people in the Marlins organization have tested positive, including 15 players, according to reports by ESPN. The outbreak was initially reported at 13 in total, but an additional four cases were reported on Tuesday.
The outbreak prompted the 30 MLB owners to have a conference call Monday to discuss the situation.
Tuesday the MLB announced the Marlins’ games had been postponed through Sunday.
“Given the current circumstances, MLB believes that it is most prudent to allow the Marlins time to focus on providing care for their players and planning their Baseball Operations for a resumption early next week,” read the release.
The announcement also included the postponement of play through Friday for the Philadelphia Phillies, who had opened their season with a three-game home series against the Marlins, and other scheduling tweaks.
“The health and safety protocols were designed with a challenging circumstance like the one facing the Marlins in mind,” the release read. “The response outlined in the joint MLB-MLBPA Operations Manual was triggered immediately upon learning of the cluster of positive cases, including contact tracing and the quarantining and testing of all of the identified close contacts.”
With the exception of some minor scheduling tweaks for the New York Yankees and Baltimore Orioles as a result of the Marlins’ and Phillies’ brief suspension of play, Kasten’s Monday prediction of business as usual seems clairvoyant.
“Hopefully this is the worst outbreak we have for the rest of the season because it will teach us some things,” Kasten said. “But I do think we expected something like this at some point, and maybe getting it out of the way early will help teach us things that we’ll avoid repetitions of this going forward.”
KHTS Sports is your place for 2020 Santa Clarita high school sports and Los Angeles Dodgers coverage. Find all the latest news and updates on your hometown schools here as they compete in the Foothill League, Heritage League, Western State Conference and GSAC.

KHTS Radio Santa Clarita Radio – Santa Clarita News